Become a Volunteer
Become a Coralville Firefighter
The Coralville Fire Department is continuously seeking dedicated men and women to serve as volunteer firefighters.
Applications are accepted throughout the year and one Fire Academy traditionally starts in the spring each year.
There is no cost to apply and no cost for Fire Academy classes.
RequirementsVolunteer firefighters for the City of Coralville must:
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Be of good moral character
- Be substance-abuse free
- Have a valid Iowa driver's license
- Be able to read, write, and understand the English language
- Pass a physical examination and drug screen
- Successfully complete an oral interview
- Pass a physical agility assessment
- Be able to understand and carry out oral and written instructions
Benefits for Coralville FirefightersVolunteer firefighters are eligible for the following benefits:
- Receive fire, medical, rescue, and hazardous materials training
- Tax-deductible mileage
- State income tax deduction
- Annual flu shot
- Participate in the City's employee wellness program
- Length of service award programs resulting in IRA
Certification & Training OpportunitiesThe Coralville Fire Department prides itself on quality training with new and exciting opportunities offered regularly:
- Initial training program consists of National certification in Firefighter I and Hazardous Materials Operations within the first year (all costs paid for by the fire department)
- Within three years of joining, the initial cost will be reimbursed for obtaining certification as an Emergency Medical Technician
- Be trained as a Hazardous Materials Technician and join the Johnson County Hazardous Materials Response Team, representing the Coralville Fire Department
- Specialty training opportunities including vehicle extrication, confined space rescue, high angle rescue, and more
Classes RequiredAs part of the Fire Academy, each member must participate in classes that meet one evening a week.
After the academy is complete, the recruits will test for a certification at the Fire Fighter I and Hazardous Materials Operations level by the Iowa Fire Service Training Bureau.