Rental Housing

Residential Rental Property

All leased or rental residential property in Coralville requires a permit and must be registered with the City of Coralville Housing Program.  

How to Register a Rental Property

To register a rental property, complete a Rental Housing Permit Application (see Resources below).

How to Renew a Rental Permit

All registered rental properties will receive a renewal notice with permit number during the month of November. Completed residential rental permit renewal applications and fees should be returned to the Coralville Community Development Department in City Hall located at:
1512 7th St.
P.O. Box 5127
Coralville, IA 52241

Rental Inspections

Inspections of all rental units must be performed every three years. The City contacts the rental property owner to schedule the inspection.

Contact Us

  1. Dawn Baker

    Rental Housing Inspector

    1512 7th St.
    P.O. Box 5127
    Coralville, IA  52241

    Ph: 319.248.1720
    Fx: 319.248.1894


    Monday - Friday
    8:00 am - 5:00 pm

    Staff Directory

Short Term Rental Property

The short term rental ordinance allows Coralville homeowners to apply for a permit to rent their property for less than 90 days at a time. Ordinance 2016-1018 went into effect in September 2016.

What is a Short Term Rental?

A “short term rental” is any property rented for less than 90 continuous days. Short term rental properties require a Rental Housing Permit (for the permit application, see the "Resources" tab below).

Can I rent my home as an Airbnb?

Renting your home for short stays, such as an Airbnb, is considered a "short term rental" and you need a Rental Housing Permit.  If your property is under a homeowner's association (HOA) or condo owner's association, check to see if the covenants allow property rentals or restrict short term rentals.


Short term rentals of residential properties are allowed if:
  • The property has a valid rental housing permit with the City and has passed rental inspection, and
  • The unit is owner-occupied, and
  • The owner is living on-site and is present the entire duration of the short term rental, and
  • The owner pays hotel/motel tax for the first 30 days of the short term rental.


Under State law, cities may fine a property owner in violation of the ordinance a maximum of:
  • $750 for first violation
  • $1,000 per day the violation continues

Report a Concern

Report suspected rental housing licensing violations at 319.248.1720, at, or use “Report a Concern” on the City of Coralville app.

Additional Information

  1. Resources
  2. Rental Permit Fees