Aisle of Lights
Aisle of Lights
c/o City of Coralville
1512 7th St.
Coralville, IA 52241
Aisle of Lights
See how thousands of white paper sacks, each filled with sand and a votive candle, create a magical scene on a winter evening! Miles of luminarias are available for viewing by foot or car. Aisle of Lights is held annually on the second Sunday in December. Area businesses and organizations often free host activities for all ages.
Aisle of Lights is only possible with community participation when residents and businesses light luminarias along their sidewalks in the evening. Coralville’s annual Aisle of Lights luminaria display began in 1980.
Sunday, December 11, 2022
Light luminarias on Sunday from 5:00 to 9:00 pm (see "Events" below for related activities).
Where to See Luminarias
1. Residents and businesses throughout Coralville are invited to light luminarias on their sidewalks.
2. The City and community volunteers will light luminarias on:
- Holiday Road (1st Avenue to 12th Avenue)
- 12th Avenue (7th Street to Holiday Road)
- 7th Street (S.T. Morrison Park to 12th Avenue)
- 8th Street (S.T. Morrison Park to 12th Avenue)
- 5th Street (City Hall to the Library)
- Biscuit Creek trail from 5th Street to 6th Street (next to Old Town Hall, 407 5th St.)
Where to See Holiday Lights & Displays
See a map of the community's favorite light displays at www.coralville.org/holidaylights throughout December.
Aisle of Lights is held snow or shine, and will not be rescheduled if the weather doesn't cooperate. In the event of wind, sleet, or rain, light luminarias as you are able.
Sand donated by Hawkeye Ready Mix.
Aisle of Lights Activities*
Friday, December 9, 2022
Free Community Meal
Coralville Recreation Center, 1506 8th St.
Come for a free meal and stay for the holiday fun! Vegetarian options available. Decorate luminaria bags to set out at your home on Sunday for Aisle of Lights. Hosted by the Coralville Community Food Pantry and the City of Coralville. For updates and menu, see www.coralvillefoodpantry.org/events.
Sunday, December 11, 2022*
Open Houses in the Iowa River Landing
Iowa River Landing, E. 9th St. & Quarry Rd.
Lights, horse-drawn carriage rides, and Santa, oh my! Enjoy the festivities at holiday open houses at the IRL and finish your holiday shopping. Enjoy delightful goodies and explore the various holiday open houses at each of the IRL’s retail locations. Bring the family for pictures with Santa or enjoy a carriage ride before grabbing dinner and drinks in the IRL. Iowa River Landing event details
Coralville United Methodist Church, 806 13th Ave.
Enjoy a selection of homemade soups, bread or crackers, and plenty of delicious desserts to choose from. There is no charge, but free-will offerings to benefit their youth summer mission trip will be accepted. Please enter through the 14th Avenue parking lot entrance.
Open House at Old Town Hall
Old Town Hall, 407 5th St.
Join the Johnson County Historical Society for a children's activity, hot apple cider, and treats at the Old Town Hall.
Bop's Choo Choo Trains, Santa's Sleigh, Music, & Treats
Coralville City Hall, 1512 7th St.
Bop's Choo Choo Trains will ride through a Victorian winter wonderland! See Santa's sleigh, courtesy of GreenState Credit Union, and enjoy music and treats.
Cultural Displays: One Coralville, Bright Future
S.T. Morrison Park, 1513 7th St.
Whether you celebrate Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Christmas, or the snowy season, the City of Coralville is looking for people/organizations to set up displays in S.T. Morrison Park to celebrate our unity in Coralville during the season of lights. The displays will be along the path from Fireside Shelter to Hilltop Shelter. We'll share our cultures and engage in conversations in the park around the beauty of the luminarias and cultural displays. If you'd like to set up a display:
- Register by 5:00 pm on December 4 at the Coralville Recreation Center, call 319.248.1750, or register a display online. There is no fee to participate.
- Decorate a space with battery-powered lights, candles and/or decorations meaningful to your culture, organization, or family.
- Displays can be stand-alone or “staffed” for people-to-people interaction.
- See full details about the One Coralville, Bright Future cultural displays
Decorate Luminarias with Community Wishes
Fireside Shelter, S.T. Morrison Park, 1513 7th St.
Stop by Fireside Shelter to decorate a luminaria bag with wishes for Coralville’s 150th anniversary and help light up S.T. Morrison Park. Gather near the fire, grab hot cocoa and a cookie thanks to GreenState Credit Union. Enjoy music and a kid’s winter craft. Place your decorated bag as part of the display in the park so everyone can see your message for the future.
Park Stroll & Giant Letters
S.T. Morrison Park, 1513 7th St.
Walk through S.T. Morrison Park to view the cultural displays that celebrate the diversity which makes Coralville home. See the lit luminarias with community wishes for our 150th anniversary, and take photos with giant light-up letters that celebrate One Coralville, Bright Future.
Open House at The Big White House
The Big White House, 1246 12th Ave.
Warm up around the fireplace, enjoy hot drinks and cookies, sing carols around the piano, and explore our renovated 1910 farmhouse. All are welcome! Hosted by Genesis Church.
Luminarias throughout Coralville
Light luminarias on your sidewalks and tour the twinkling lights!
*Events subject to change.
To be listed, events must relate to Aisle of Lights and be community-focused, open to the public and all ages, and free unless otherwise noted. Inclusion does not imply sponsorship or endorsement by the City. Contact individual organizers for information.
How to Make Luminarias
- Get free sacks and sand beginning Monday, December 5:
- Pick up sacks at Coralville City Hall (1512 7th St.) or the Coralville Recreation Center (1506 8th St.)
- Pick up sand at the Aquatic Center parking lot (1513 7th St.), adjacent to City Hall, in the west side of the lot; bring a container to transport sand.
- Buy votive candles.
- Place sacks, weighted with sand and a candle, along your sidewalks (roughly every third sidewalk square). Tip: Fold the top edge of the sack down for extra sturdiness.
- Light your candles by 5:00 pm on Sunday. Please clean up your luminarias by 9:00 am on Monday.
Available beginning December 5, 2022
Would you like to invite your neighbors to light luminarias? Download and print our handy neighborhood invitation!
View the twinkling lights throughout Coralville at your leisure (we suggest viewing the luminarias on 5th Street, 12th Avenue, and Holiday Road, as well as those placed by residents and businesses throughout Coralville).
Limited Bus Tours*
The City of Coralville provides a free wheelchair-accessible bus to tour the lights on Sunday, December 11, 2022.
- Capacity is limited, and space for all riders is not guaranteed. Each round is first come, first served.
- Departs from City Hall (1512 7th Street) at approximately 5:15 pm, 6:00 pm, and 6:45 pm.
- Free and open to the public.