About Community Plans
Community plans help the City make informed decisions about how Coralville may develop in the future. A community plan is a public document which:
- Contains specific proposals for future land uses and public improvements, and
- Provides a guide for community development.
The Planning Process
Community plans are created with considerations of historical trends, existing conditions, future needs, population growth, resources, transportation, economic development, social characteristics, and geography. Community plans are developed through a partnership of City staff, consultants, and public input, followed by approval of the City Council.
Coralville Community Plan
The 2014 Coralville Community Plan was approved by the City Council in March 2014. It was developed following a year-long process and incorporates input from residents and business owners through public meetings, surveys, interviews, online mapping, and other tools. It replaces the 1992 Coralville Community Plan but does not replace the 1995 Amendment (Oakdale Boulevard Corridor) and the 1998 West Land Use Plan.
West Land Use Area Plan
The West Land Use Area is located between I-380 and Coral Ridge Avenue/Highway 965, south of Forevergreen Road, and north of I-80. In early 2015, the City began the process of expanding on the 2014 Coralville Community Plan by establishing a clear vision for the future of the West Land Use Area. The resulting West Land Use Area Plan includes a detailed master plan and design guidelines for the growth and development of this area of our community.
West Land Use Area Master Plan (2016)
- Table of Contents, Background, Land Use, and Master Plan (p. 1A-15) (PDF)
- PUD Zoning Framework (p. 16-35) (PDF)
- Planning and Site Requirements, Parking, and Circulation (p. 36-53) (PDF)
- Landscape, Open Spaces, Buffering, Fences, Walls, and Screening (p. 54-67) (PDF)
- Sustainable Design and Storm Water Management (p. 68-79) (PDF)
- Design Guidelines (p. 80-93) (PDF)
- Signage Regulations, Bibliography, and Appendix (p. 94-xvi) (PDF)
Community planners hosted several public meetings in 2015 to share information and receive public input about the future of this important growth area, and provided the following information:
- Phase III & IV - Open House 3 Presentation (PDF): September 9, 2015
- Phase III & IV - Open House 3 Presentation Video: September 9, 2015
- Phase II - Open House 2 Presentation Video: May 13, 2015
- Phase I - Phase I Summary (PDF): Coralville West Land Use Master Plan and Design Guidelines, March 2015
- Phase I - Open House 1 Presentation Video: January 21, 2015
- Phase I - Open House 1 Preferencing Results (PDF): January 21, 2015
- Phase I - Planning Project Summary (PDF): Coralville West Land Use Area
- Phase I - Project Initiation Booklet (PDF): Coralville West Land Use Master Plan and Design Guidelines
|Coralville Community Plan||Part 1 - 2014 Coralville Community Plan (p. 1-44) (PDF)|
Part 1 - 2014 Coralville Community Plan (p. 45-89) (PDF)
Part 1 - 2014 Coralville Community Plan Land Use Plan (PDF)
Part 2 - 1995 Amendment (Oakdale Boulevard Corridor) & Ordinance 2004-1008 (PDF)
Part 3 - 1998 West Land Use** (PDF)
|Iowa Riverfront||Iowa Riverfront Master Plan 2012 (PDF)|
|Johnson County Hazard Mitigation||Johnson County Hazard Mitigation Plan Multi-Jurisdictional 2019 (PDF)|
|Old Town Coralville||Old Town Coralville Plan 2009 (PDF)|
|Southeast Commercial Area||Southeast Commercial District Plan 2017 (PDF)|
|Town Center District||Coralville Town Center District Plan 1995 (PDF)|
Amendment: Coralville Town Center District Plan 1995 - Ordinance 2008-1013 (PDF)
*Some of the files are large and will take time to download
**See also West Land Use Area Master Plan (2016)
For more information, contact the City of Coralville at 319.248.1700.