House Checks

About the Service
The Coralville Police Department offers vacation security checks of homes for Coralville residents in an attempt to reduce the opportunity for burglary and other residential crimes.  

How it Works
As time permits, officers will check your home while you are out of town. A police officer will visually inspect the perimeter of the home for security concerns or damage while you are away (please note: exterior areas of your home that are not accessible will not be checked). Should a problem arise, officers will notify you or your designated emergency contact.

How to Request a Home Security Check
Submit requests at least five business days prior to your departure.  

  • Complete and submit an online Out of Town Notification Form, or
  • Stop by the Coralville Police Department, 1503 5th St., Coralville, IA 52241, to complete a form in person

Let Us Know
If you'd like to let us know you are going out of town, but don't feel that an official house check is needed, please contact Sergeant Mike Mrstik at with your address and dates you will be away. 

Security Recommendations
Home checks while you are away are not a substitution for home security systems or basic security measures.  Take precautions to prevent pipes from freezing and make arrangements for yard work/snow removal, mail and newspaper collection, and setting out/retrieving trash and recycling bins as needed while you are away.

For home safety tips, visit Guide to Securing Homes Published by the Safety, Health & Consumer Council (SHCC).

Learn More
For more information, please contact the Coralville Police Department at 319.248.1800.