About the Department
The Building Department ensures that new and remodel construction of residential and commercial buildings complies with the adopted building codes through plan review and on-site inspections, and ensures that residential rental properties comply with all safety and maintenance requirements.
Code Enforcement The City of Coralville enforces the following codes:
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2018 International Residential Code with Appendices F, G, and M
- 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
- State of Iowa Plumbing Code
- State of Iowa Energy Conservation Code
- State of Iowa Mechanical Code
- State of Iowa Electrical Code
Electrical Permits & Inspections
The City uses the State of Iowa Electrical Licensing and Inspection Program for permits and inspections of all commercial and residential electrical work permitted in Coralville after January 1, 2015. Permits issued by the City prior to January 1, 2015 are inspected by the City.
Learn more about electrical permits and inspections.
- Driveway Construction
- Dual Smoke Detectors and Placement
- The American Wood Council's "Design for Code Acceptance #6 - Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide - 2015 IRC Version" should be used to show code compliance for residential wooden decks. This guide includes tables for sizing all structural elements including footings.