5th Street Social
5th Street Social 2022
August 13, 2022
Time: 4:00-10:00 pm
Location: 5th Street, between 6th Avenue & 12th Avenue
Map: View 5th Street Social maps (PDF)
Celebrate family, friends, & the dog days of summer
As the days edge towards the end of summer, celebrate friends, family and neighbors with a block party festival on 5th Street! Coralville's 5th Street Social celebrates the street dances of the 1950’s by featuring music, food, local brews, children’s activities, and a classic car show and shine.
This annual event began in 2016 and is held on the second Saturday in August.
Things to Do
Kid Zone (4:00-8:00 pm)
Enjoy inflatables, giant games, and interactive kids booths up and down the festival area, along with Corn Hole (bag games); giant games of Jenga, Tic Tac Toe, Connect Four, checkers, and others!
|Interactive Kids Booths||Business/Organization|
|Hockey game challenge||Iowa Heartlanders|
|10 Ball||Xtream Arena|
|Plinko and a kids' craft||ImOn Communications|
|Craft||Coralville Public Library|
|Art||Brush and Barrel|
|Youth sports||Little Sports Torts|
|Book giveaway||Friends of the Coralville Public Library|
|Tattoos and headband craft||Coralville Parks and Recreation|
|Kickboxing challenge||9Round Fitness|
|Fire truck exploration||Coralville Fire Department|
|Football toss challenge||Geico|
Activities at 10th Avenue & 5th Street (4:00-8:00 pm)
|Face painting* (4:00-7:00 pm)
|Nine Square in the Air||Scouts BSA|
Chalk It Up (new for 2022!)
Reserve a 4 foot x 8 foot concrete “canvas” at 5th Street Social and create your own chalk work of art! The festival will supply basic chalk sticks. If you’d like to bring other chalk art mediums, you may do so but must get approved before starting your canvas.
Reserve a free Chalk It Up space
Chalk artists may begin their canvas as early as 2:00 pm. Canvases will be judged and prizes given at 7:00 pm.
Main Stage (5th Street and 8th Avenue)
- Rattlebox (4:00-6:30 pm): Rattlebox is a versatile, five-piece rock band out of Mount Vernon, Iowa. They play a wide range of rock covers, but particularly like to play tunes from the 80s and 90s eras. The performance is as important as the music itself, and they love bringing a crowd to life.
- Final Mix Show Band (7:00-10:00 pm): high-energy dance show band for all ages. Final Mix includes former members of the James Brown Band and Morris Day and the TIME. From oldies to rock,pop, R&B, rap, and hip hop, they do it all! In 1999, Final Mix, a well-polished and respected act, became the newest reincarnation for Del "Saxman" Jones.
- Da Flava Unit (jerk chx, ribs, steak & chx fried rice)
- Gyro Hicks Soul Food (Italian beef, gyros, gyro burgers, and beef polishes)
- JamieCakes (cake pops and cookies)
- Marco's Grilled Cheese
- Paco's Tacos (street tacos, walking tacos)
- Pineapple Whip
- Slammin Jammin Wings and Things (chicken wings, nachos, and hotdogs)
- Wilson's Orchard and Farm (apple cider donuts, blueberry turnovers, and apple cider slushies)
- Pat and Fran's
Featuring craft beers from Johnson County craft breweries (no cup charge; cups provided).
- $6 for a 16-18 oz pour
- Breweries featured: Backpocket, Big Grove, ReUnion, Wilson's Cider
- IDs checked and wristband required for alcohol consumption. Due to state law, alcoholic beverages must remain in the beverage garden.
- How to buy tickets:
- Reserve 5th Street Social Craft Brew Tickets online in advance until August 12 at 11:59 am. Choose how many "seats" (tickets) to purchase. Will Call will be at the Ticket Booth. Pick up tickets at the Ticket Booth on the day of the event beginning at 3:45 pm after ID is shown and wristband has been received. Tickets are non-refundable and unused tickets are a donation to our scholarship fund – thank you!
- Buy tickets at the event. Cash only at the event.
At the Classy Chassy Cruisers Show N Shine, see classic cars parked on 5th Street (9th Avenue to 12th Avenue). Car owners check in at 10th Avenue and 5th Street to park.
Business Open Houses
Visit 5th Street businesses along 5th Street Social, with prize drawings and specials throughout the evening.
Volunteers make every special event run smoothly, and 5th Street Social is no exception! Volunteers are needed to help check IDs, serve craft brews, monitor entrances, supervise the kids' zone, and set up and tear down.
As a perk, all volunteers will receive an event t-shirt, and those 21 and over will receive a free beverage ticket!
Know Before You Go
Street Closures & No-Parking Areas
The following street closures are scheduled for the day of the event:
- 5th Street closed to through traffic between 6th Avenue and 12th Avenue beginning at noon.
- 7th Avenue, 8th Avenue, and 9th Avenue have local access only south of 6th Street beginning at noon.
- Signs indicating no-parking areas on 5th Street in the event area are placed prior to the street closures. Watch for posted signs to avoid being ticketed and towed.
- Free Parking: On the south side of 808 on 5th, on area streets as permitted, and in the Town Center parking ramp the corner of 5th Street and 12th Avenue (adjacent to the Coralville Public Library and the Coralville Center for the Performing Arts).
- Handicapped Parking: On the west side of 6th Avenue at the corner of 5th Street and 6th Avenue.
- Bike Racks: At the east event entrance at 6th Avenue and 5th Street. Additional bike racks are located at the Coralville Public Library and on the north side of the Coralville Center for the Performing Arts. A pedestrian/bike path intersects at 5th Street just east of the 1876 Schoolhouse.
Due to street closures, Coralville Transit will make the following change to the Saturday Route (Route 25) on the day of the event:
- After 11:40 am, buses will not stop at #4360 (5th Street and 8th Avenue). Please proceed two blocks east to 6th Avenue; the bus will pick up passengers at the intersection of 6th Avenue and 5th Street.
- Route changes and road closures will make predicted bus arrival times on the Transit app inaccurate on August 14, however, the real-time maps on the Transit app with actual bus locations will be accurate and should be used to locate buses.. For bus routes and schedules, contact Coralville Transit at 319.248.1790.
Pets are not permitted at the event. Service animals are allowed.
Smoking is not allowed.
Seating & Outside Food/Drink
No outside food or drink, including alcoholic beverages, may be brought to the event. Lawn chairs are permitted in designated areas.
5th Street Social is presented by the City of Coralville and is sponsored in part by West Bank. 5th Street Social also received a special events grant from Think Iowa City to bring The Final Mix Show Band from Des Moines.
A portion of the proceeds benefits the Coralville Parks and Recreation Youth Scholarship Fund, which provides funding for every child in Coralville to learn to swim, play sports, and participate in other recreation activities; and the Coralville Playground Fund, which is dedicated to building exploration, curiosity, physical development, and social development in children.