5th Street Social
5th Street Social Returns in 2024
5th Street Social will not take place in 2023. Instead, you’ll find parts of our 5th Street Social favorites taking place during 4thFest in early July 2023, at Coralville's 150th anniversary events throughout 2023, and when Coralville hosts RAGBRAI on July 28, 2023. We hope you’ll enjoy all these other great events happening in Coralville in 2023! 5th Street Social will return on August 10, 2024.
August 10, 2024
Time: 4:00-10:00 pm
Location: 5th Street, between 6th Avenue & 12th Avenue
Map: Available in July 2024
Celebrate family, friends, & the dog days of summer
As the days edge towards the end of summer, celebrate friends, family, and neighbors with a block party festival on 5th Street! Coralville's 5th Street Social celebrates the street dances of the 1950’s by featuring music, food, local brews, children’s activities, and a classic car show and shine.
This annual event began in 2016 and is held on the second Saturday in August.
Things to Do
Kid Zone (4:00-8:00 pm)
Enjoy inflatables, giant games, and interactive kids booths up and down the festival area, along with Corn Hole (bag games); giant games of Jenga, Tic Tac Toe, Connect Four, checkers, and others!
|Interactive Kids Booths||Business/Organization|
|To be announced||To be announced|
Activities at 10th Avenue & 5th Street (4:00-8:00 pm)
|To be announced||To be announced|
Chalk It Up
Reserve a 4 foot x 8 foot concrete “canvas” at 5th Street Social and create your own chalk work of art! The festival will supply basic chalk sticks. If you’d like to bring other chalk art mediums, you may do so but must get approved before starting your canvas. Reservations will be announced closer to the event
Chalk artists may begin their canvas as early as 2:00 pm. Canvases will be judged and prizes given at 7:00 pm.
Main Stage (5th Street and 8th Avenue)
- Opening band (4:00-6:30 pm): To be announced
- Headline band (7:00-10:00 pm): To be announced
Food & Brews
- To be announced
- To be announced
Featuring craft beers from Johnson County craft breweries (no cup charge; cups provided).
- Price to be announced for a 16-18 oz pour
- Breweries to be announced
- IDs checked and wristband required for alcohol consumption. Due to state law, alcoholic beverages must remain in the beverage garden.
- How to buy tickets: to be announced
At the Classy Chassy Cruisers Show N Shine, see classic cars parked on 5th Street (9th Avenue to 12th Avenue). Car owners check in at 10th Avenue and 5th Street to park.
Business Open Houses
Visit 5th Street businesses along 5th Street Social, with prize drawings and specials throughout the evening.
Volunteers make every special event run smoothly, and 5th Street Social is no exception! Volunteers are needed to help check IDs, serve craft brews, monitor entrances, supervise the kids' zone, and set up and tear down.
As a perk, all volunteers will receive an event t-shirt, and those 21 and over will receive a free beverage ticket!
A volunteer signup will be available closer to the event.
Know Before You Go
Street Closures & No-Parking Areas
The following street closures are scheduled for the day of the event:
- 5th Street closed to through traffic between 6th Avenue and 12th Avenue beginning at noon.
- 7th Avenue, 8th Avenue, and 9th Avenue have local access only south of 6th Street beginning at noon.
- Signs indicating no-parking areas on 5th Street in the event area are placed prior to the street closures. Watch for posted signs to avoid being ticketed and towed.
- Free Parking: On the south side of 808 on 5th, on area streets as permitted, and in the Town Center parking ramp the corner of 5th Street and 12th Avenue (adjacent to the Coralville Public Library and the Coralville Center for the Performing Arts).
- Handicapped Parking: On the west side of 6th Avenue at the corner of 5th Street and 6th Avenue.
- Bike Racks: At the east event entrance at 6th Avenue and 5th Street. Additional bike racks are located at the Coralville Public Library and on the north side of the Coralville Center for the Performing Arts. A pedestrian/bike path intersects at 5th Street just east of the 1876 Schoolhouse.
Due to street closures, Coralville Transit will make the following change to the Saturday Route (Route 25) on the day of the event:
- After 11:40 am, buses will not stop at #4360 (5th Street and 8th Avenue). Please proceed two blocks east to 6th Avenue; the bus will pick up passengers at the intersection of 6th Avenue and 5th Street.
- Route changes and road closures will make predicted bus arrival times on the Transit app inaccurate on the day of the event, however, the real-time maps on the Transit app with actual bus locations will be accurate and should be used to locate buses. For bus routes and schedules, contact Coralville Transit at 319.248.1790 or view bus routes.
Pets are not permitted at the event. Service animals are allowed.
Smoking is not allowed.
Seating & Outside Food/Drink
No outside food or drink, including alcoholic beverages, may be brought to the event. Lawn chairs are permitted in designated areas.
5th Street Social is presented by the City of Coralville and is sponsored in part by West Bank. 5th Street Social also received a special events grant from Think Iowa City to bring The Final Mix Show Band from Des Moines.
A portion of the proceeds benefits the Coralville Parks and Recreation Youth Scholarship Fund, which provides funding for every child in Coralville to learn to swim, play sports, and participate in other recreation activities; and the Coralville Playground Fund, which is dedicated to building exploration, curiosity, physical development, and social development in children.
Thanks to Our 2022 Sponsors