E. 9th Street
E. 9th Street Improvements: 1st Avenue to Quarry Road
This project will enhance the E. 9th Street corridor with the addition of landscaped center medians, new north-south crosswalks, curb bump outs to establish parallel parking areas, completion of the brick paver streetscape along the south side of E. 9th Street, and conversion of the E. 9th Street & E. 2nd Avenue intersection into a four-leg roundabout.
The project will be completed in two phases.
Phase 1: Mid October-December 2019 (Complete)
Construction on this stretch of E. 9th Street included:
- Two raised center medians west of E. 2nd Avenue to create a dedicated eastbound left turn lane onto Ponseti Way.
- Southerly halves of two north-south crosswalks.
- Curb bump outs and select brick paver replacement along the south side of E. 9th Street, east of E. 2nd Avenue, to better define the parallel parking stalls.
- New driveway just west of the current driveway used by both the Johnson County Historical Society and the Antique Car Museum of Iowa. The driveway extends along the east side of Xtream Arena. The museum parking lot will connect to this driveway.
Phase 2: March-August 13, 2020
- Two raised center medians east of E. 2nd Avenue.
- Additional north-south crosswalks.
- Curb bump outs and select brick paver replacement along the north side of E. 9th Street, east of E. 2nd Avenue, to establish parallel parking areas and shorten crosswalk distances.
- Pedestrian streetscape (brick pavers, street trees, etc.) along the south side of E. 9th Street to mirror the existing north side streetscape.
- Roundabout at E. 9th Street & E. 2nd Avenue.
- E. 9th Street will have one lane open in each direction at all times between Ponseti Way and Quarry Road.
- No on-street parking east of E. 2nd Avenue until early July.
- Pedestrian access is provided along the north side of E. 9th Street.
- Access to businesses and residences in the Iowa River Landing will be maintained.
Progress June 29-July 2, 2020:Looking ahead:
- Completed concrete pours for outer (lower) wall of roundabout central island.
- Continued brick paver tie-ins east of roundabout. All paver work for eastbound E. 9th St should be complete July 2.
- Started grading for the streetscape along the south side of E. 9th Street.
- Started installation of last storm sewer intake on NW side of Quarry Road roundabout.
- Completed tree removals on north side of E. 9th Street.
- New street trees will be planted along north side of E. 9th Street on July 6 and 7.
- Complete brick paver work on alley corners near Fuzzy’s Taco Shop. Brick paver work along north side of E. 9th Street will be substantially complete by July 11.
- Complete last storm sewer intake on NW side of Quarry Road roundabout.
- Complete interior drain system within the roundabout central island and backfill with soil.
- Begin brick masonry work on roundabout central island walls.
- Pour concrete subslabs for streetscape on south side of E. 9th Street from 1st Avenue to Ponseti Way. The south side streetscape will mirror the north side streetscape.
- Westbound E. 9th Street is closed between Quarry Rd. and Ponseti Way.
- A full-width road closure is installed at the south end of E. 2nd Ave (just north of E. 9th St).
- The primary route to reach E. 2nd Ave from E. 9th St is to turn left on Ponseti Way and then turn right on Iowa River Landing Pl.
- The secondary route to reach E. 2nd Ave from E. 9th St is to turn left/north at the Quarry Rd roundabout and then turn left on Iowa River Landing Pl.
- Access to the under building parking garage at 201 E. 9th St (The Landing) and to the alley between 201 and 211 E. 9th St (The Madison) will be maintained, but drivers exiting those locations must turn left onto E. 9th St.
- The next goal for traffic control is to re-open the eastbound E. 9th St left turn onto northbound E. 2nd Avenue. The estimated date for when this could happen will be included in the July 10 update.
- The project has a substantial completion date of August 13, 2020. However, most of the work occurring in early August will not impact traffic on E. 9th Street.
E. 7th Street between 1st Avenue & Quarry Road Is Open
- As with any roundabout, drivers must yield to their LEFT before entering a roundabout.
- Watch for construction traffic passing through this roundabout with material and equipment heading to and from the Arena project.
- Sign up for e-news alerts ("Construction and Traffic Updates" category)
- Like City of Coralville, Iowa on Facebook
- Follow the City of Coralville, Iowa on Twitter
- Join Nextdoor (a private social network for Coralville neighborhoods)
- Pay attention to construction message boards during construction
- Check local news for media releases
Section of trail between Kennedy Parkway and Camp Cardinal Road will be closed on Thursday, July 9, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Read on...
James St. closure west of Camp Cardinal Blvd. has been extended until July 10 Read on...
E. 9th Street will have one lane open in each direction at all times; E. 7th Street provides additional access to and from the Iowa River Landing Read on...